ESL Holiday Dessert and Ugly Sweater Open House
On December 14th 2016, ESL held its first Holiday Open House, a social event designed to bring our community together and enjoy the Holiday spirit. Nearly 50 people participated the event, tasted delicious desserts and enjoyed the spirit of ugly sweater tradition. Thanks to the Community Building Committee, the event attracted many faculty, students, staff and researchers, first of its kind that didn't include a poster presentation or a research talk. Fourteen entries were made in the blind Best Dessert Contest and 11 people competed with their ugliest sweaters to be named at the top three. Top five winners of each category is announced below. Congratulations to all winners and we thank everyone for joining the event and participating in the spirit of Holidays. Don't forget to check out the photos taken during the event by Ryan Horns, all of which can be located at our Photo Library.
Best Dessert Competition Winners
- Luayo Xu with her blueberry cake.
- Chris Ball with his pumkin ginger bread trifle
- Jiti Gupta with his pistachio and date fruit pastries.
- Peter John-Baptiste with his banana fritters
- Yesim Anter with her pomegranate infused pear upside down cake.
Ugliest Sweater Competition Winners
- Nima Ghalichechian
- Josh Compeleo
- Michelle Diefenbach
- Landon Garry (deserved a special recognition for his creativity)
- Graeme Smith