- Professor, Electrical & Computer Engr.
1330 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212
Ronald M. Reano earned the BS in Physics from the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1991, the BSEE from the University of New Mexico in 1996, and the MS and PhD from the University of Michigan in 2000 and 2004, respectively. He is a senior member of the Optical Society (OSA) and a senior member of the IEEE.
Professor Reano's research interests involve integrated photonics, electro-optics, and hybrid RF/optical devices. Integrated photonics involves the manipulation of light at the micrometer and nanometer scales. It is analogous to integrated electronics. Instead of electrons, however, photons are guided and controlled on the surface of an optical chip. The use of light provides a route to miniaturized high speed devices enabling revolutionary innovation in sensors, communications systems, and computing. Research investigations span concept development, design, modeling, simulation, fabrication, test, and measurement
College of Engineering Lumley Research Award.
Distinguished Achievement Award, Electrical Engineering PhD Program (one award given annually to the top Electrical Engineering PhD student in each academic year).
First Place - Student Paper Competition, IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques International Microwave Symposium, Phoenix, Arizona (selected from 242 competing papers)..
Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor (awarded to top 5% of teaching assistants for excellence in teaching as determined via formal student evaluations of instruction).
Air Force Commendation Medal (Awarded for distinguishing oneself by heroism, meritorious achievement or meritorious service).
- Ruege,Alexander,C; Baas,Larry; Blue,Thomas,E; Reano,Ronald,M, 2010, "Geometries for the Sensitive Optical Detection of Photogenerated Carriers in Silicon." IEEE JOURNAL OF QUANTUM ELECTRONICS 46, no. 5, 818-826 - 818-826.
- Sun,Peng; Reano,Ronald,M, 2010, "Low-power optical bistability in a free-standing silicon ring resonator." OPTICS LETTERS 35, no. 8, 1124-1126 - 1124-1126.
- Sun,Peng; Reano,Ronald,M, 2010, "Submilliwatt thermo-optic switches using free-standing silicon-on-insulator strip waveguides." OPTICS EXPRESS 18, no. 8, 8406-8411 - 8406-8411.
- Ruege,Alexander,C; Reano,Ronald,M, 2010, "Sharp Fano Resonances From a Two-Mode Waveguide Coupled to a Single-Mode Ring Resonator." JOURNAL OF LIGHTWAVE TECHNOLOGY 28, no. 20, 2964-2968 - 2964-2968.
- HOFFMAN,G,B; Zhou,W; Sooryakumar,R; Reano,R,M, 2009, "Direct write of optical waveguides on chalcogenide thin films using electron beams." JOURNAL OF VACUUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY B 27, no. 6, 2737-2741 - 2737-2741.
- K.-Y. Jung*, F. L. Teixeira, and R. M. Reano, 2009, "Surface plasmon coplanar waveguides: mode characteristics and mode conversion losses." IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 21, no. 10, 630-632 - 630-632.
- Hoffman, G. B.*; Liu, W.; Zhao, W.; Sooryakumar, R.; Boolchand, P.; Reano, R. M., 2008, "Relief and Trench Formation on Chalcogenide Thin-Films Using Electron Beams." Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B 26, no. 6, 2478-2483 - 2478-2483.
- K.-Y. Jung*; Teixeira, F. L.; Reano, R. M., 2007, "Au/SiO2 nanoring plasmon waveguides at optical communication band." Journal of Lightwave Technology 25, no. 9, 2757-65 - 2757-65.
- J. F. Whitaker, K. Yang, R. Reano, and L. P. B. Katehi, 2003, "Electro-optic probing for microwave diagnostics." IEICE Transactions on Electronics E86-C, no. 7, 1328-37 - 1328-37.
- "Optical interferometer for radiation detection." 2010, Presented at NSF/DNDO Academic Research Initiative Grantees Conference,
- "(Invited) Cantilever couplers for fiber coupling to silicon photonic integrated circuits." 2010, Presented at University of Michigan,
- "(Invited) Cantilever couplers for fiber coupling to silicon photonic integrated circuits." 2010, Presented at University of Maryland,
- "Nanoimprint Lithography of Photonic Integrated Circuits." 2007, Presented at Ohio Nanotechnology Summit,
- "(Invited) All-dielectric doubly resonant RF/optical degenerate band-edge crystal antenna." 2009, Presented at DARPA EMPIRE program review,
- "(Invited) Two and Three-Dimensional Fabrication Technologies for Integrated Optics." 2010, Presented at Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base,
- "(Invited) Nanoimprint lithography and integrated optics." 2006,
- "(Invited) Two and three dimensional structuring using nanoimprint lithography." 2006,
- "(Invited) Two and three dimenisonal structuring using nanoimprint lithography." 2006,
- "Photonics based nuclear radiation sensor." 2008, Presented at NSF/DNDO Academic Research Initiative Grantees Conference,
- "(Invited) Two and Three-Dimensional Structuring Using Nanoimprint Lithography." 2008,
- "Photonics based nuclear radiation sensor." 2009, Presented at NSF/DNDO Academic Research Initiative Grantees Conference,
- "(Invited) Electromagnetic pulse intolerant RF receiver." 2009, Presented at Optical metamaterials kick-off meeting,
- "Plasmonic Gap Waveguide Vertical Coupling." 2007, Presented at Ohio Nanotechnology Summit,
- "(Invited) Two and three dimensional structuring using nanoimprint lithography." 2005,
Papers in Proceedings
- R. M. Reano and P. Sun* "(Invited) Cantilever couplers for fiber coupling to silicon photonic integrated circuits." in SPIE Silicon Photonics V (Photonics West). (1 2010).
- G. B. Hoffman*, W. Liu, W. Zhao, R. Sooryakumar, P. Boolchand, R. M. Reano "Direct Write Reliefs in Excess of One Micrometer on Chalcogenide Thin-Films Using Electron Beams." in 53rd International Conference on Electron, Ion, and Photon Beam Technology and Nanofabrication. (5 2009).
- W. Zhou, G. Hoffman*, H. O. Colin, R. M. Reano, R. Sooryakumar, and P. Boolchand "Investigation of electron beam induced changes in glassy GexSe1-x thin films." in American Physical Society March Meeting Session T14: Disordered Systems, Glassy Dynamics, and Jamming. (3 2009).
- F. L. Teixeira, K.-Y. Jung*, B. Donderici, and R. M. Reano "(Invited) FDTD/FETD Modeling of Plasmonic Structures for Optical /CMOS Integration (Abstract)." in Progress in Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS). (7 2008).
- W. C. Liu, W. Zhou, G. Hoffman*, R. M. Reano, R. Sooryakumar, P. Boolchand "Growth and properties of amorphous GeSe films prepared by pulsed laser deposition (Abstract)." in American Physical Society March Meeting, Session W24: Glassy and Amorphous Systems. (3 2008).
- R. M. Reano and A. C. Ruege* "(Invited) Sensors based on multimode waveguide cavity systems." in Photonics and Optoelectronics Meetings (co-sponsored by IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society). (11 2008).
- A. Ruege*, and R. M. Reano "Nanoimprint lithography of embedded multi-mode integrated optical resonators (Abstract)." in International Union of Radio Science, North American Radio Science Meeting, Special Session on Microscale and Nanoscale Electromagnetics (URSI Commission B). (7 2007).
- R. M. Reano and D. Daniel* "Extending electrical engineering research to undergraduates through a multi-media technology internship program." in American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Conference and Exposition. (6 2006).
- W. Hu, E. Yim, R. M. Reano, K. W. Leong, and S. W. Pang "Direct Imprint on Thick Polystyrene Cell-Culturing Dishes to Fabricate Three-Dimensional Nanotopography for Tissue Engineering." in 49th International Conference on Electron, Ion, and Photon Beam Technology and Nanofabrication. (5 2005).
- R. L. Jones, C. L. Soles, E. K. Lin, W. Hu, R. M. Reano, and S. W. Pang "Thermal Stability of Nanoimprinted Polymer Films." in 49th International Conference on Electron, Ion, and Photon Beam Technology and Nanofabrication. (5 2005).
- C. L. Soles, R. L. Jones, R. M. Reano, and S. W. Pang "(Invited) Nanoimprint Lithography: Basic Materials Science for High Fidelity Patterning." in Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Symposium C: Innovations for Sub-100nm Lithography-Materials and Processes. (12 2004).
- W. Thiel, K. Tornquist, R. M. Reano, and L. P. B. Katehi "A study of thermal effects in RF-MEM-switches using a time domain approach." in IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society International Symposium Digest. (6 2002).
- J. F. Whitaker, K. Yang, R. M. Reano, and L.P.B. Katehi "Electro-optic field-mapping as a diagnostic tool for microwave circuits and antenna arrays." in International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics. (11 2002).
- R. M. Reano, J. F. Whitaker, L. P. B. Katehi. "Method and apparatus for simultaneous measurement of electric field and temperature using an electrooptic semiconductor probe." Patent number: 6906506